Columbus Birth Injury Attorneys
We represent the most vulnerable medical negligence victims
At The Eisen Law Firm, our Columbus birth injury attorneys are dedicated to bringing closure and understanding to families. Birth injury victims and their parents face difficult challenges in the months and years following a birth. A child who should have been born healthy must now undergo expensive medical treatment because of a medical professional’s mistake. For more than 40 years, our attorneys have been dedicated to obtaining the resources families need for proper ongoing care of their injured infants and children.
What are birth injuries?
Birth injuries occur when a newborn is injured during pregnancy, labor, or delivery due to some type of medical error. When a medical professional fails to provide medical treatment that meets the proper standard of care—and a baby is injured—it may be possible to file a birth negligence claim. Many parents are unaware that a birth injury has been caused by negligence until they consult with an experienced birth injury attorney.
Pregnancy should be one of the most exciting times of a woman’s life. Unfortunately, a medical error may rob a woman of the joys of pregnancy. Examples of medical negligence that may occur during pregnancy include:
- The failure to screen for and treat infections
- The failure to diagnose any conditions that could put the mother or her baby at risk for complications (such as gestational diabetes or preeclampsia)
- Poor monitoring during the pregnancy
- Improper care during a high-risk pregnancy
- Failing to respond properly to emergency medical situations
- Medication errors
There are many other types of medical errors that may occur during pregnancy. If you suspect that a medical professional made a mistake during your pregnancy that injured your baby, you should consult our experienced Ohio birth negligence attorneys as soon as possible.
Labor and delivery
Though many labors and deliveries conclude with the birth of a healthy baby, for many parents, this is not the case. There are a number of complications that may arise during labor and delivery that should be addressed quickly to avoid serious injury to the mother and baby.
Common complications that may arise during labor and delivery include:
- Bell’s palsy : Bell’s palsy is often caused by the use of forceps during delivery, resulting in damage to the baby’s facial nerves. It may also be caused by other maneuvers that cause excessive pressure on the baby’s face.
- Brachial plexus injuries: With brachial plexus injury, the nerves that help the hands and arms move are damaged. The nerve damage may occur if a medical professional is attempting to pull the baby out of the birth canal, especially if the labor and delivery has been a difficult one.
- Birth asphyxia: With birth asphyxia, the baby’s oxygen supply is interrupted. If unaddressed, birth asphyxia may quickly lead to permanent brain damage. Cerebral palsy is often caused by a lack of oxygen during birth.
- Caput succedaneum: This condition arises when there is swelling in the baby’s scalp. Bruising may also occur. This condition is more likely to occur if a medical professional has used a vacuum during the delivery.
A number of other birth injuries may occur during labor and delivery. If you suspect that your child was injured because of medical negligence, you should meet with our attorneys right away.
More than 40 years of experience on your side - Call today to schedule a free consultation
At The Eisen Law Firm, we offer a free consultation, so you can learn about your legal options. There are deadlines which limit how long you have to file a birth negligence claim in Ohio, so the sooner you meet with one of our Columbus birth injury attorneys, the better. Call 216-687-0900 or visit us online today.